MULTI-DISCIPLINARY GRANTS: These shall not exceed GHC 120,000 and are for multi-disciplinary and inter-faculty research projects which specifically address a national developmental issue and are also capable of shaping or influencing policy in Ghana. Grants of this nature shall normally not be awarded for more than 2 years and would be awarded to a multi-disciplinary research team.
NB: These funds are available only through partnership with UG faculty.
All grant applicants must be full-time Faculty members of the University of Ghana. Faculty members applying in this category should have at least A YEAR'S service with the UG. Collaborators from institutions outside of UG must provide a letter of support from their institution.
The following faculty members are not eligible to apply:
- Previous recipients of UGRF whose work are on-going.
- Previous recipients of UGRF who have not submitted their final technical and financial reports.
- Previous recipients of UGRF who have not published their findings in peer reviewed journals.
The application procedure has gradually evolved from paper applications to only email submissions to a pre-defined email address. From the 2013-2014 academic year, the expectation is that applications for research grants will be done by using an online application platform.
Frequency Of Calls
A call for proposals is normally made once a year.
Submission and Review of Applications
Applications are reviewed using a two-step process.
Step 1:An assessment by the ORID Research Administration Unit for confirmation that each proposal meets all guidelines.
Step 2:Proposals that meet all requirements are coded and independently reviewed by reviewing panels set up by ORID.
Proposals are reviewed based on the following criteria:
- RELEVANCE OF RESEARCH QUESTION
- SCIENTIFIC MERIT OF METHODS, DESIGN AND ANALYTICAL FRAMEWORK
- POTENTIAL TO IMPACT POLICY
- JUSTIFICATION FOR RESOURCES
- CAPABILITY OF RESEARCH TEAM
After the review, feedback from the review is provided to all applicants. The final decision and announcement is subject to the approval of the ORID Management Board.