Purpose of Policy
The University's mission statement is to:
Develop world-class human resources and capabilities to meet national development needs and global challenges through quality teaching, learning, research and knowledge dissemination.
In furtherance of this mission, the University outlines its strategic objectives as follows:
- Build on our core strengths as a centre of excellence for high quality teaching and research; relevant institutions and good infrastructure; and our unique competencies in the sciences, medicine, engineering, humanities, law and business, cultural studies, information technology and other emerging disciplines, to secure and sustain world-class competitive advantages in a stable democratic environment.
- Build deeper awareness of the needs of our consumers, especially students, the private and public sectors, government and the world community and re-orient our teaching, research and extension activities and harmonize synergies between disciplines to achieve operational excellence.
- Promote innovation, relevant and cutting-edge technology, leadership development and an enterprise culture, to enhance the delivery of value to our consumers and stakeholders.
- Govern its operations by the highest level of integrity, ethical standards, openness, and fairness underpinned by a reward and recognition system that is performance driven.
In view of the aforementioned, the objectives of the University of Ghana's Research Policy shall be:
- To ensure through collaboration with stakeholders that research is of the highest quality.
- To ensure institutional commitment to uphold the highest ethical standards for the conduct of research.
- To implement the University's approach to research consistent with international guidelines
To realize these objectives, the University has formulated a research policy to inform and guide research with a view to increasing research output and improving the quality of research.
The aim of this Research Policy is to ensure that research carried out in the name of the University of Ghana (UG) or on its premises is consistent with that of world class universities.