In line with the drive of becoming a research-led institution, the University of Ghana through its Office of Research, Innovation and Development has provision for faculty and students from institutions external to the UG undertake part of their research as affiliates of the University. It enhances mentorship, faculty collaborations by promoting and providing opportunities for collaboration.
The Office of Research Innovation and Development (ORID) manages the processing of requests for Research Affiliation from faculty members of other institutions. Since the 2011/2012 academic year,ORID has been processing affiliation requests jointly with the International Programmes Office and the School of Graduate Studies. So far, requests for affiliation have come from a mix of institutions around the world and these applications are projected to grow in diversity and numbers in the incoming years.
BENEFITS OF UG AFFILIATION:
By virtue of an applicant’s affiliation with the University of Ghana, affiliates have the opportunity to:
- Enjoy mentorship from experienced faculty members in the departments at UG, playing the host by way of supervision and /or use the period to do their research write ups;
- Access UG’s institutional resources such as laboratories, libraries, wireless networks among others;
- Access to UG’s campus recreational facilities;
- Establish research networks for possible collaborations and so on.
PERIOD OF AFFILIATION:
The period of affiliation is usually between one month and a full academic year. The Research Affiliate is required to submit an End-of-affiliation report(to be linked to text) with their mentor at the end of the affiliation.
HOW TO APPLY:
Prospective faculty/ students interested in undertaking part of their research as Research Affiliates of the University of Ghana would be required to do the following:
- Contact ORID via email@example.com expressing interest in being affiliated to the UG.
- Download and complete the APPLICATION FORM and submit with requisite documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one month before the intended date of commencement of the affiliation.
- Applicant will be notified upon receipt of the application by ORID. The application would be processed to the host department and an offer letter will be sent to the applicant.
- Applicant will be required to indicate his/her acceptance of the offer by completing and returning the ACCEPTANCE FORM by email to email@example.com.
Candidates interested in being affiliated to the University of Ghana would be required to pay an affiliation fee to the University before the commencement of their attachment. The amount charged has been pro-rated by the duration of the affiliation against the approved affiliation fee for the academic year.