UG REGISTERS WITH THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH (NIH)
The NIH is a U.S. Federal Grant Agency which consists of twenty-seven (27) different institutes and makes use of a well-structured online grant application and management system. ORID has officially completed all the steps involved in registering the University of Ghana with the NIH and is responsible for maintaining the UG’s registration with the NIH. The UG is therefore fully equipped to submit grant applications to the NIH and any of its affiliate institutions as well as provide other support related to NIH processes.
Unlike other grant applications, NIH requires that applicants are registered in the eRA Commons which is managed solely by ORID. As a means of making available information on funding opportunities from the NIH, ORID has dedicated one volume of its compilation "Research Opportunities Alert!" to NIH grant opportunities. Faculty/ researchers are also encouraged to look out for other NIH-grant opportunities which can also be accessed at www.grants.gov.
PROCESS FOR FINDING NIH GRANTS
- Visit www.grants.gov and navigate to 'Find Grant Opportunity' on the left panel
- Download grant opportunity application package including guidelines.
- Grants are also available in the Volume 1 of the quarterly Research Opportunities Alerts on the website
APPLYING FOR NIH GRANTS
Prospective applicants interested in applying for NIH grants may undertake the following:
- Contact their respective Research Development Officers at their Faculties or contact ORID via email at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 1 month ahead indicating the Funding Opportunity Number and Title.
- Download and study grant opportunity guidelines to ensure adherence to the opportunity.
- Download and complete ORID's NIH Checklist and submit together with relevant documentation.
- Submit checklist and other documentation to ORID for completion and submission of the application.
Enquiries on the NIH Grants and its Application system should be directed to the Research Administrator (ORID) via email at email@example.com.